Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Introductory Post

Sometimes, issues in the news may seem irrelevant to students living on campus at UNC. Face it; you can do nearly everything without setting foot off campus. Ram’s Head has become our favorite restaurant, gym, and grocery store. Because of this, our blog will show how issues in the news are relevant to students and faculty on campus.

As for the tone this blog will take, we envision a relatively loose stream of communication. Being college students, we see enough very structured writing, and we all are very appreciative of being able to say what we mean without all the formalities present in typical essays and term papers. We envision this being a site visited by alumni, potential and current students as well as the people in this class, and feel that this casual tone will help to attract and keep readers. We also think that if our blog is relatively casual it will probably encourage outside readers to share their thoughts and opinions, since they would not be intimidated by an exclusive feel. Now you can meet our writers/bloggers:

My name is Josh Kinard. I am from Greensboro, North Carolina. My interests include sports – mainly football, basketball, and soccer – music, cars, and politics. I try to find humor in all situations and am very laid back, rarely over-exaggerating issues. Hopefully my writing will reflect my attitudes towards life. I attempt to keep my writing mostly unbiased and appealing to all audiences on campus, but sometimes I let a small slant enter my writing. The only group I am involved in is Carolina Fever, not surprising considering my likely unhealthy obsession with all things sports-related. As for my major, I am a political science major, but I also am taking pre-med classes to leave my options open for the future.

My name is Joaquin and I am a freshman looking to go into business. I’m from Wilmington, NC and have lived there for about seven or eight years. I’m a cynic and am rather sarcastic, and it shows through in my writing every now and then. As far as campus recreation goes I am a member of CHispA that has yet to actually do anything, but I’m working on that. Seriously. I like to read and I also love music more than almost anything, and I’m really into the electronic (that’s techno) music scene here in Chapel Hill. I like to play with glow sticks a lot too, both on strings and freehand. That’s about all there really is to know about me.

I’m Helen Buchanan, a freshman Journalism major with a concentration on broadcasting from Lexington, NC. I absolutely love the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; I’m a true born and bred Tar Heel at heart. I love to dance! I danced with a company/academy in my hometown for 14 years and am currently dancing with Star Heels dance team on campus. I am also a jazz choreographer as well as preparing to be a tap choreographer with Star Heels. I love sports, especially Carolina Athletics, which is why my dream job is to be either a sidelines reporter for ESPN or have a sports anchorship on any ESPN program. I’m loud and outgoing, so I don’t mind speaking up or being blunt about the truth. I absolutely love the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; I’m a true born and bred Tar Heel at heart. To sum it up, I’m ready for the world, but the world might not be ready for me!

Hey guys, my name is Ellyn Bedi. I’m 18 years old from Cary NC, but originally from Collegeville PA. Since this blog is all about UNC and how it relates to different subjects, I guess I should tell you about what I do here in Chapel Hill. I’ve always been involved in sports, and that hasn’t changed here at Carolina. I’m a member of Carolina Fever, but unfortunately I’ve had to miss a lot of events because I’ve been at practices of my own. I’m currently on the novice rowing team, hoping to eventually become a full-fledged varsity rower. As of right now, I’m planning to major in Journalism (advertising), though I’m unsure of exactly what I want to do post graduation. I’ve always been more drawn to the liberal arts, and I love how music, art and words can connect to convey a particular message, so I’m hoping that those interests will be developed in my eventual career. I’m a relatively laid back person, and I think that will often be seen through my writing, but hopefully I’ll be able to keep up enough of an intellectual tone. I suppose that’s about all you need to know for now and hopefully you’ll really get to know me through reading what I post here.

8 comments:

Meredith Cook said...

I like how you guys focused your blog around college life and what goes on, as students. I think this will interest other college students.

Gabrielle said...

This introductory post is the one I enjoyed the most. Because of the open mindedness of the potential blog writers and the technique of writing that they do, I feel that this blog is most suitable. The organization of the blog where the authors introduce themselves in a friendly, down to earth tone, leads me to think that their articles will be factual but at the same time most interesting. It was nice to know that their blogs would show how the outside life correlates to the life of a UNC student. Their goal to attract the UNC family (students,staff,and alumni) is a true go getter.

Jeff Wright said...

I think your subject matter was interesting and the rhetorical style was appropriate. However, unlike other groups, your group did not mention it the post any of your members' writing experiences. I think including this in the post would make the post more organized and persuasive.

Carly said...

Hey guys! I really like the idea of relating these units to UNC and college students! I'm interested to see how you put that spin in the asssignments... this is a great way to keep readers coming back!

Jeff Wright said...

did not mean to be so critical....i did like your group's blog

Dana Brand said...

I enjoyed the informal style you guys used, especially when describing yourselves, because it made the post really fun to read. I also like the little intro that you gave about making news relevant to students because it really set the tone for the entire blog as a sort of laidback and open atmosphere.

Tilman Grigg said...

I think this is a great idea for a blog. It's not only going to be informative/entertaining but most importantly it is going to be useful. It is important the people understand that many things that happen in the world are relevant in some way to themselves. However, this might lead to some ideas being embellished or manipulated just to make them .

Daniel Lupton said...

Good start, folks. I like the fact that you took the time to get your post formatted neatly and I think that your general approach to the blog is very promising. I also have a few criticisms. First, there are several places in the post where you drop terms or phrases that go unexplained; for instance, what do you mean by your goals of being "casual," "unintimidating," etc.? Also, you say you've seen enough "structured writing," but will your posts be unstructured? I can't imagine unstructured writing would be very fun to read. I think that stating your rhetorical aims in this manner does do some damage to your credibility as authors. I also would've liked to have seen some explanation of why your target audience will be interested in your writing. Why would an alumnus, for instance, be interested in reading Carolina on Our Minds? Finally, like some of the other posts in the class, I think the writing is a bit choppy in places and could've benefited from another close edit. Still, you're off to a great start!